Thursday, April 27, 2017

April Book Review {2017}

It's book review day today, friends!!


Back in January, I made a resolution to do more reading this year. This might be the only New Year's Resolution that I've ever kept...so far.

If you missed my previous book recommendations, you can find them here. Trust me, there were some GREAT, GREAT ones!




I'm finishing the month of April having read 4 books! I thought that having spring break this month would have allowed for lots of extra reading, but actually was the exact opposite! I didn't read my normal 5 books, but we'll make it through.

Out of the four books that I read this month, only one was not one that I would recommend.

Let's get started!


I Let You Go is about a woman with a tragic past, who flees her home and heads to the Welsh Coast. She's escaping to forget the horrifying accident that resulted with the loss of a child and the only life that she's known. This novel switches from her point of view to the detectives dedicating their time to finding justice for the boy. Just when you think you've figured this book out, you have no idea.

I loved this book! It's broken into two parts, the first being a little slow. Once the second part comes around, the book grasps you and doesn't let go. I've been loving mysteries lately and this one did not disappoint. For those of you who try it, just get to the second part before making any judgements!

I give this book a 4 out of 5


Good as Gone is about a 13-year-old girl who is kidnapped out of her bedroom in the middle of the night. The only person who knows anything is her little sister Jane, who saw the whole thing from the back of the closet. Eight years later, and the Whitaker's get a knock on their door and find their missing daughter standing before them. Is the woman who she says she is?

Good as Gone is the one book this month that I wasn't into. At first the book seemed like it had a great story line and kept me engaged. By the time I got to the end, I felt like it was all over the place. I had to re-read a few chapters because certain things came out of left field. I just wasn't a big fan.

I give this book a 2 out of 5





Thirty-six year old Paul Kalanithi has spent his entire life dedicated to education and his future. He spends nearly a decade getting himself to his current place as a neurosurgeon. After having some issues with his health, he finds out that he has stage IV lung cancer. This book is about his life before his sickness and how the doctor suddenly become the patient. Paul wrote this book until his death in 2015.

Oh my goodness. When Breath Becomes Air was such a genuine and heartfelt book. You fall in love with Dr. Kalanithi and want so much for him to recover from his cancer. The fact that he wrote this book until his death makes it so real and unbelievably sad. Just wait until you get to his wife's writing in the epilogue. Spoiler alert: You'll need a box of tissues.

I give this book a 5 out of 5



Auburn is feeling like the world is weighing on her. While walking home one day, she finds an art studio with a help wanted sign hanging in the window. On a whim, she decides to check it out and finds Owen Gentry as the artist. The attraction between them is immediate. Both Auburn and Owen have secrets that they won't share. When they realize that Owen's past can destroy Auburn's future, the only solution is to part ways. The only thing that can save their relationship is Owen's confession that could hurt someone very close to him.

I was super nervous to read this book because of my love for Colleen Hoover's newer book, It Ends with Us. I reviewed that book earlier this year and deemed it my favorite so far. Needless to say, this book had a lot to live up to. Guess what? It DID! I was so obsessed with finishing this book that I literally read at red lights. I had to know the secrets, and couldn't get to them fast enough! I cannot wait to read another one of her books, because of the great experiences with the two so far!

I give this book a 5 out of 5!

Any good books that any of you are reading lately? I need to make a list for May!

XO, 
Leslie


3 comments:

  1. I feel like I Let You Go is required reading these days! So much positive buzz going around :) Stopping by from Car Pool Book Club, feel free to stop my way and check out my April book reviews. I had a good reading month too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These books look great! I just love a good book review :)

    - Willow

    ReplyDelete