Monday, January 30, 2017

January Book Review {2017}

Good morning!

This year for my New Year's Resolution, I had a goal of simply "doing better."

I wanted to better myself in every aspect of my life, and one of my more specific goals was to read more. I've always been an avid reader, but I go through phases where I'll read a ton and then take a couple week break. I wanted to make reading a more consistent routine.

I'll have to say that I started off strong in January having read 5....yes FIVE books! I have never in my life read five books in one month. I'm keeping my hopes high that I'll keep it up!


To go along with a new year, I'll be starting book reviews at the end of each month! I'll be sharing all of the wonderful books that I've read and give you all some recommendations.

This month I had 4 books that I loved and one that was just okay. We'll start there.


I'm sorry to anyone who read and thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I wasn't a big fan. The whole thing just seemed very anti-climatic and boring. I was pretty disappointed because I'm pretty sure I found it on a list of "15 Books You Can't Put Down." Well, needless to say I put it down many times and didn't want to pick it back up. I powered through though.

The Silent Wife is about Jodi and Todd, and their marriage that is headed for a catastrophe. The infidelity and lies are what shake their relationship to the point of no return. Her being the killer and he being the victim (not giving anything away, you know this from the synopsis), tell the tale of how a great relationship turned sour. 

I'll give it a 2.5 out of 5



Oh. My. Goodness. I read Ruth Ware's first book, In a Dark, Dark Wood last month and immediately ordered this one for January. The plot and author's writing combined make for a "sitting on the edge of your seat" mystery! The Woman in Cabin 10 was just as amazing as the other and keeps you guessing until the very end! Side note: The books are not in a sequence, so you can read either one first.

The Woman in Cabin 10 is about Lo, a travel journalist who gets the opportunity of a lifetime to go on a very exclusive, luxury cruise. Lo finds herself hearing and seeing a woman go over board in the middle of the night. The only problem? All the guests and crew are accounted for!  This chilling story of a woman on a mission is one that should be on a list for books that you can't put down! ;)

I give this one a 5 out of 5


The Hypnotist's Love Story was the only Liane Moriarty book that I hadn't read. All of her books are GREAT, so I had high expectations for this one too. Although the book gets a little slow in the middle, I felt like it was a great read overall. I love the characters and how well Moriarty develops them. 

The Hypnotist's Love Story is about Ellen, a Hypnotherapist in a beach town in Australia. She's in her thirties and wondering if she'll ever find that special someone. She meets Patrick and they have great chemistry, but he's got something looming over him that he must tell Ellen. Thinking that he's about to break up with her, he reveals that he has a stalker ex-girlfriend. Little does Ellen know, it's not someone who is a stranger to her. 

I give this one a 4 out of 5



I'm not really sure how I went so long without reading Elin Hilderbrand books. Shay from Mix and Match Mama is practically president of Hilderbrand's fan club, so I trusted that these books must be amazing. This was the second one that I read, with Barefoot being the first. The first thing that I want to say is that I'm ready to book a vacation to Nantucket. The Rumor is a perfect mix of drama and romance. I never wanted to put it down.

Best friends Madeline and Grace appear to have it all together on the outside. On the inside, Madeline is struggling to write her next book and Grace is making a decision that could blow up her seemingly perfect life. Between the prediction of "two people will betray the person to their left," and the rumors spreading like wildfire through Nantucket, how will Madeline and Grace put their lives back together?

I give The Rumor a 4.5 out of 5 



This was hands down my favorite book of the month. I'm also predicting that it will also be one of my favorites of the entire year. I know it's only January and I have so many books to come, but A Dog's Purpose was really THAT good. We all know about the drama revolving around the movie, but I don't love seeing the movie version of books that I've read because I feel like it ruins it for me anyway. If you're a dog lover, you need a copy of this book pronto.

A Dog's Purpose is an emotional story of a dog with many lives. The commentary about his encounters with humans, and his journey through his lives are both heartwarming and heartbreaking.  What is a dog's purpose in life? It's so much more than you think. I will forever think of my dog 100% differently. :)

This one easily snags a 5 out of 5

Wow, friends! What a great start to a year of doing better. I already have two books for next month picked out, but I would LOVE any suggestions for books that you've read lately! 

See you all tomorrow for 10 Things on Tuesday!

XO,
Leslie





7 comments:

  1. I just added A Dog's Purpose to my
    book list!! The book is always better than the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so disappointed with A Silent Wife as well :(. Reading The Woman in Cabin 10 now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like The Silent Wife either. You're not alone! I also loved The Rumor. Still my fav Hildebrand book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations! I've been setting aside 20 minutes a night to read, so hopefully I can add one of these soon- I loved Liane Moriarty's The Husbands Secret!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! I committed to reading more this year too! I loved Dog's Purpose, love all Elin Hildebrand... and agree on vacationing in Nantucket! I read the Husband's Secret last month and can't wait to read more from her! And the Woman in Cabin 10 is on my list too! Great choices!
    www.thefamilytablewithgenevieve.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I already have Cabin 10 on my library reserve list, and can't wait to get it. Thanks for the tip on the Dog's Purpose book...looks right up my alley. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am definitely adding three of these to my reading list! Thanks for the recommendations :)
    mascaramoment.ca

    ReplyDelete