Monday, November 28, 2016

Let's Talk Christmas Traditions

Well, it's Monday. 

My Thanksgiving break is over and I may actually be crying at some point this morning. It was just such a fantastic week off! 

To start the week off right, I'm linking up with Andrea from Momfessionals and Erika from A Little Bit of Everything to talk about Christmas traditions! 


This post is going to lack pictures because I realized how terrible I've been at getting pictures of little things like this. Starting a blog has really made me see the value in taking pictures of certain events/moments.

Christmas Cards

It was only last year that we sent our first picture Christmas card, but normal cards have gone out every year that we've been together (this year will make 7 Christmases!). Making sure to send positive holiday wishes to our family and friends has been a tradition each year.

2015 Christmas card



Stockings

On Christmas morning, the stockings ALWAYS come first. When I was little, this was the tradition with my parents, and it just continued through my adulthood. This is engrained in my Christmas morning, and it'll continue to be that way when I have children too. It's just so fun to see what little surprises are in that stocking! My mom is the BEST stocking stuffer, so there's always some great stuff!

Christmas Lights

We always make it a point to drive around and look at people's Christmas lights. We pick a night after dinner, drive around drinking hot chocolate/coffee, and look at the pretty Christmas lights around our town. There are several houses who go all out with decorations, and it's always fun to see what they've done each year.

Christmas Movies

ABC's 25 Days of Christmas is a favorite around our house. We look at the schedule at the beginning of the month, figure out which ones we want to see, and plan accordingly. Our favorite Christmas movies that don't play on ABC end up filling in the other nights.There's nothing better than curling up on the couch with a fire crackling, while watching a holiday movie! 



Christmas Eve

It has always been a tradition in my family to open one present on Christmas Eve. When I was a kid, it ranged from cute pajamas to books or movies. My mom continues this tradition every year, but it has since evolved to family games. Every year on Christmas Eve, she comes over and we open the Christmas Eve gift (always a game) and then we all play together. This is by far one of my favorite traditions and one that I'll continue with my children. Some of the hit games have been:





The Atlanta Botanical Gardens

The Botanical Gardens in Atlanta host the most beautiful Christmas decorations that I've ever seen. You park the car, and walk around the gardens looking at the beautiful lights and listening to the music. They serve beer/wine/coffee/hot chocolate to keep you warm while you're walking around. So many cool things to do here. It's a tradition that we started a few years ago, and have our trip planned soon. 

Cookies

This last one is a tradition that I'm actually starting this year. In the next few weeks, Ryan and I are going to attempt to make really pretty Christmas cookies. I've seen these cookies all over Pinterest, and of course I have to try to make them. I'm excited to start this tradition this year! Fingers crossed that it turns out the way that I want!



Those are our Christmas traditions! I'm always up to starting something new, so I'm excited to read about everyone else and what their family traditions are. :)

XO,
Leslie









6 comments:

  1. We always had the tradition of going to our stockings first as well!! Those cookies are so cute, and I've always thought there's no way I could make some look that good. I'm excited to see how yours turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to attempt! I'll let you know how they turn out. :)

      Delete
  2. I want all of those cookies. I love this time of year, but my waist doesn't. Ha. Thank you for posting the 25 days of Christmas movies. I can't wait for that!!! Bring on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're telling me! I heard that it's extremely common to gain 7-10 pounds during the holiday season! How crazy is that! Christmas movies are the greatest and I can't wait to start watching tonight!

      Delete
  3. We have a lot of the same traditions : ) We always go look at Christmas lights with hot chocolate too, and we've always done our stockings first. They are so fun to unpack!! This is the first year I've ever sent out Christmas cards as an adult, however. My fiance and I are using our save the dates as multi-purpose Christmas cards! Also, genius idea of your mom's to do the board games on Christmas Eve!! I want to start doing that with my family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How perfect to send your Christmas cards as your save the dates too! Christmas traditions are so much fun and a great way to start things for your future family! :) I've said this approximately 102 times already but I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS!

      Delete